Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Recap from Day 9

Today I had the pleasure to work inside the primary school at Ciudad de la Alegria helping teach the students English. I got to work with the sixth grade boys and first, third, and fifth grade girls. We helped the students with the English alphabet, spelling, and their English vocabulary words. We divided each class into two teams. I would lead one team, and my fellow Friends student led the second team. It was quite the competition. I would test my team on the alphabet and receive a score then the other team would be tested and receive a score. The students loved this challenge and would really push themselves and their team members to say the alphabet perfectly. I could definitely tell how important the teachers thought it was for the students to learn English, and sometimes their English was better than mine. I could also tell how much the English teachers appreciated us and how much they love seeing our faces throughout the week.

The children absolutely love having us there. Numerous times while I was at the school, I was bombarded and tackled by tons of students. They all wanted to hug me and ask me questions. It touched my heart and is definitely an experience I will never forget. I am excited to see what the rest of the week holds for us.

-Hadassah, Senior

No comments:

Post a Comment